Head for the Hill!
IACP’s 18th Annual Compounders on Capitol Hill
June 23-26, 2012
JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue
The anticipation has been building for another successful Compounders on Capitol Hill (CCH) in Washington, D.C.! IACP Members, friends and colleagues will soon gather on behalf of their patients and practitioners to take several vital issues to the Hill in a continuing effort to Protect, Promote and Advance Pharmacy Compounding!
The always popular Hill Day will take place during CCH on Tuesday, June 26, 2012. To help prepare our IACP Members for this important event, IACP wanted to share some event details.
- Back Due to Popular Demand, Soapbox Consulting, LLC -- a Washington, D.C.-based firm specializing in grassroots advocacy – is again scheduling all of our Hill Visit appointments. We've provided Soapbox with our CCH registration lists and they are diligently working to confirm your requested meetings with your respective House and Senate Members of Congress.
- Schedules will be available at CCH on Monday, 25 June 2012 at the 10:30 a.m., “Being a Good Advocate for Compounding” educational session. Because the appointments can and often do change at almost the last minute, a "final" appointment schedule will be distributed to everyone at our State Breakfast on Tuesday morning. That event will start at 7:00 a.m. in the Grand Ballroom on the lower level of the JW Marriott Hotel.
- Let Soapbox do the Talking - Please do not contact any legislative offices directly regarding your appointments. Soapbox Consulting is doing that for you and we want to keep any potential confusion to a minimum. If you have a question or concern about a particular appointment, please e-mail IACP’s Vice President of Government Affairs Sarah Dodge at email@example.com, and she will work with Soapbox Consulting to make sure your issues are addressed.
- Welcome to the Hill, First-Timers! Don’t worry if you haven't "lobbied" before! We will provide a series of issue briefings and training opportunities during CCH well before you venture to Capitol Hill.
- Plan to Stay on Tuesday - Tuesdays are often busy days on the Hill. Because we only have a small window of opportunity for our congressional appointments, it is helpful if you make every attempt to stay in Washington, D.C., past 6:00 p.m. on the day of the Hill event. In-person meetings with your representatives are more likely to be scheduled late in the afternoon (especially on Tuesdays), and we wouldn’t want you to miss out on these opportunities.
Preparation and Materials
IACP’s mission is to ensure that you’re ready, willing, and able to go to the Hill with poise and confidence.
- Knowledge is Power - This year, we are providing you with two "be there" educational sessions. Join us on Monday, 25 June at 10:30 a.m. for an in-depth and insightful session, “Being a Good Advocate for Compounding.” Presented by D.C. author and grassroots advocate Christopher Kush, you'll learn some tried-and-true techniques that will not only get your voice heard but your message remembered! The skills you'll take away at this session can be used not only on Capitol Hill; but, also in your local and state legislatures. Later that afternoon at 4 p.m., IACP's Executive Vice President & CEO David G. Miller, RPh and Vice President of Government Affairs Sarah Dodge from our D.C. offices will provide practice sessions for each of our key CCH 2012 Ask messages.
- Breakfast of Compounding Champions – IACP is pleased to offer you a good hearty breakfast and advice from two compounding-friendly legislators at our annual State Breakfast event on June 26, 2012. IACP welcomes the Honorable Chris Jones, RPh, IACP Member (R-Suffolk, VA House of Delegates) and the Honorable Louie Gohmert (R-TX-01), Senior Member of the House Judiciary Committee (Majority). Plan your day with your colleagues and friends to maximize your time and impact as you take the needs and interests of compounders to Capitol Hill!
- Drum Roll, Please – Introducing the CCH 2012 Asks - And now on to the good stuff. Our Members have told us they appreciated having the Ask Messages and briefing documents before CCH so you can review, memorize, rehearse, practice, and think about them well before you even arrive in Washington. This way you and your colleagues can think about how each of these important issues can be illustrated with your own experiences as a compounding pharmacist and as a business person constituent from a Representative’s district or Senator's state.
Click on the each of our three "we need your support of…" issues to access, print and read our briefing documents:
1. Support Rulemaking by DEA to Clarify how Pharmacists May Dispense and Deliver Medicines to Prescribers CLICK HERE
2. Fair Access to Compounded Medications for Medicare and Medicaid Beneficiaries CLICK HERE
3. CMS Should Allow All Pharmacies Enrolled as Medicare Suppliers to Bill Medicare Directly for Prepared Drugs CLICK HERE
- IACP Hill Day Success Kit - NEW this Year – IACP will provide you with a handy CCH 2012 Ask Message Point Card featuring the CCH 2012 Asks in bite-sized messages that will roll off your tongue at your Hill Visits.
- And, once again IACP will outfit you with our, “Everything you need to know about compounded medicines!” congressional folder that will provide our Hill representatives with the latest and greatest information on compounding. This all-inclusive folder provides stats on the compounding profession, introduces the 163,500-plus compounding advocacy group, P2C2, as well as provides information on how patients and practitioners can locate a compounding pharmacist in their area via IACP’s locator service. And, each of the three “Asks” has its own dedicated insert included in the folder.
- The Original U.S. Congress Handbook, a comprehensive guide to Capitol Hill, will help you ensure that you’re in the right building, on the right floor, and in the right hallway, at the right time!
- Be sure to bring plenty of your business cards. The folder has a card slot included for you. This year, IACP is providing you with the information you need to take Compounding to the Hill!
See you in Washington D.C. for what promises to be the biggest and most successful Compounders on Capitol Hill ever!
Return to CCH home page