IACP Launches Veterinary Compounding
As part of IACP’s continuous efforts to educate others about pharmacy compounding, the Academy has worked to develop a comprehensive Veterinary Compounding Fact Sheet. The objectives of the IACP’s Veterinary Compounding Fact Sheet are to:
- Raise awareness of how licensed compounding pharmacists work with veterinarians to help provide a wider range of needed medications for animals.
- Emphasize how pharmacy compounding plays a vital role in helping to improve medication compliance for animal patients which have very specific dosage, flavoring, strength and concentration requirements.
- Clarify how pharmacy compounding is regulated by State Boards of Pharmacy and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) standards employed in its operation as there has been considerable misinformation disseminated on this topic.
- Clarify the FDA’s role in ensuring that the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) used in compounding are safe and are manufactured by FDA-registered and inspected facilities, and that they are not “unapproved substances.” To emphasize that there is no such thing as the often- quoted “FDA-approved pharmacy.”
- Raise awareness of how pharmacy compounding has been a critical help to veterinarians and their owners/patients during the current medication shortages.
- Introduce veterinarians to IACP’s Compounding Pharmacy Assessment Questionnaire (CPAQ™) and explain how this tool can help them select a pharmacy compounding practice.
- Gather information from veterinarians on how compounding pharmacists can better serve their practices and their patients’ medication needs.
Click here to view the Veterinary Compounding Fact Sheet.